Monday, September 17, 2007

LONG LOST ART


So, tonight I thought I'd share a little of what I call my long-lost art. These are experiments--this time with collage--that I did in years past. I go through phases of experimentation and then forget all about it. I sometimes run across the items in my studio and sometimes I'm just sorting or cleaning out my huge files of scans or jpgs and find them that way. These first two collages come from my paper bag phase. These are done on paper lunch sacks with lots of melted crayon, polymer medium and gold foiling. The images and other elements are added using Jonathan Talbot's collage method.

These two collages were inspired by those little 2-prong metal file clips/clamps that have sticky on the back of them. I had seen another artist's work in which she took little teensy scraps and compiled them into little books. She did a lot of piling up of images, textures and patterns, so it was a great inspiration. I love the way the metal works in these little compositions as a sort of anchor/organizer. I did many of these, but these are the two I like best. One of the best things I took away from a Jonathan Talbot class I took once is that one way to get your creative fires burning is to look at other people's art. He very clearly showed how Picasso, admired for his originality, actually used compositions from other paintings in his own work. It's good to look at other people's art. And it's really fun.

This is a tiny little collage using embossed fun foam as part of the frame. It ends up looking like metal when you add the teensiest bit of copper embossing powder.
I did a series of altered photos some of which can be seen on Gillian Allen's fabulous Art-e-Zine website here:
http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/foto.html

When I went to a rubber stamp convention in Puyallup a couple of years ago, I took some photos of old buildings. I was messing around with Photoshop and placed one of the altered photos in a window as an experiment.

Hey, I'm off to bed. I stayed up WAY too late last night so I've got to get some shuteye. I have one more day with my delightful high school English students! Have a great day tomorrow and a great rest of the evening.

No comments: